VPCI 309 is a vapour phase corrosion inhibitor based VCI powder suitable for long term continuous corrosion protection of ferrous metals in ‘hard to reach’ areas, void spaces, restricted areas, cavities, and awkward inner spaces.
Cortec VPCI 309 utilizes a highly effective ‘dry method’ to guard metals within an enclosed area.
The VPCI® technology essentially evaporates and is absorbed onto the metal surfaces that are exposed within the surrounding area or space. Effective when dealing with interior cavities for plant equipment, heavy machinery, etc.
VPCI 309-SF is available as a silica-free specification, available made to order.
VPCI 309 Key Features
- Nitrates, Phosphates, & Silica Free
- Provides continuous corrosion protection for up to 2 years
- Thin but robust monomolecular inhibitor layer
- Vapour Phase mechanism of action is highly effective targeting hard to reach surfaces
- No need to remove powder from protected items prior to shipment
- The VPCI layer can tolerate some disruption from moisture or the opening of the enclosed space (if used with a Cortec® VPCI 126 blue bag for example). If disturbed the VPCI will replenish the protective surface layer by continuous redeposit
- Minimal surface preparation is required
- Enhanced corrosion prevention of pre-treated products and painted surfaces
- You can remove the powder is necessary using an air gun or water wash
- Effective protection for aluminium, carbon steel and alloy assets
- Conforms by commercial equivalent to MIL 1-22110C
- Lethal Dose (LD) 50 Oral: 2100mg/KG of body weight
Applications for 309
- VPCI 309 can be used for pipes and vessels as well as other typical outdoor equipment’s like wind turbine, generator, and energy storage assets
- Effective reaching the internal surfaces of compressors, engines, tankers, boilers and heat exchangers
- Closed circuit cooling systems. Dry layup
- Asset protection following hydrostatic testing
- Various parts & components during transportation and storage through the supply chain
- Bridge cables & tendons.
How to apply VPCI 309
You can apply the 309-powder formula by wither dusting, fogging, or sprinkling. Following application, you can simply cover, close & seal the inner void space.
Fogging can be easily done using a low-pressure air hose complete with a sand blasting cup. Or a wet & dry vacuum pump (inverted) can also be used as well as conventional sand blasting machine systems.
If you require advice regarding specific dosages & equipment recommendations, please contact technical services. For most projects 0.3 – 0.5 oz per ft³ (300 – 500 grm per m³) will be sufficient.
How to Remove
When removal is required VPCI 309 & 309 SF in powder form can be removed using a low-pressure air gun or water rinse. In liquid form this does not require removal for most applications.
- Carbon Steel
- Stainless Steel
Packaging & Storage
VPCI 309 can be supplied in 5-pound (2.3 KG), 50-pound (23 KG) & 100-pound (45 KG) lined drums.
When storing ensure container is properly sealed in a cool, dry warehouse space that is out of contact with direct sunlight.
Product should not be exposed to temperatures that exceed 150°F (65°C).
The shelf life for this product is 2 years.
Extra Precautions to take when using this product include –
- Powder Caking – this may occur during a wet to dry cycle, or when exposed to high heat! This state requires removal using mechanical equipment or using an industrial acid solution. To avoid this do not over apply or unevenly disperse the formula.
- Power Solubility – Powder is not soluble in hydrocarbon-based fluids. Rinse powder from any vessels prior to adding hydrocarbon fluids.
- Welding – Powder should be removed from areas before welding or other high temperature treatments.
- Silica – This formula contains Silica. It is not recommended for steam type applications (e.g. Boiler corrosion Inhibitors). Please use the VPCI 309 SF variation for Silica sensitive projects.