Cortec VpCI 609 is a patent pending biodegradable corrosion inhibiting powder for use with a variety of ferrous metals. Conforms in full to MIL STD 3010C.
Cortec VpCI 609 corrosion inhibitor powder is ideal for both wet and dry corrosion protection coating. It is suitable for the protection of both ferrous metals and aluminium.
VpCI 609 S includes silica in the formulation.
Cortec VpCI 609 Powder Benefits
- Acceptable certified as an offshore chemical product by CEFAS with OCNS no. 25717 (allow usage at 5,000 ppm)
- Excellent iquid vapor phase protection
- Creates a mono, single molecular layer on metal surfaces
- Provides continued protection for up to 24 months
- Free from nitrates, phosphates and heavy metal
- UFI: 3U20-J0EA-E002-G43C
What are the advantages of using this formula?
- Excellent at protecting both hard to reach and recessed surface areas
- If the VpCI becomes distrubed by moisture contact or the opening of a closed space the VpCI layer will regenerate itself using a continuous disposition mechanism
- Prevents corrosion on painted surfaces and those that have been pre-coated
- Normally the VpCI layer does not require removal prior to processing or being used
- When removal is required VpCI is easily removed using an air gun or water hose flush
- No increase in alkalinity
- Great for use in large projects as it provides economical protection
Typical uses for Cortec VPCI 609 powder
- Pipes, tube structures and other vessels
- Void, tank and cavity spaces
- Internal surfaces of machinery and other critical equipment including turbines, boilers, engines and heat exchangers
- Closed circuit heating and cooling systems
- Equipment before and after hydrostatic tests
- Component parts, finished assemblies during both shipment and storage
- Can be used as an additive for wet blasting
- Can be used as an additive to standing water
Metals that 609 protects
- Carbon Steel
- Stainless Steel
- A variety of ferrous metals
Method of Application
Cortec VpCI 609 can be applied in dry form using a dusting or fogging applicaiton. Following application you can simply close or seal off the void space.
Fogging can be done with a low pressure air hose used in conjunction with a sandblast cup.
It is also possible to use larger conventional sand blasting systems.
When using VpCI 609 in powder form based on average environmental conditions we recommend you use 0.3 – 0.5 ounces (8.5 – 14 grams) for each cubic foot (28ltr) of enclosde space.
For more extreme conditions increase the dosage.
When being used for aqueous submersion consult one of our experts.
How to remove
Both VpCI®-609 & 609 S can be easily removed when in powder form. EIther by low pressure air hose or water rinsing.
If applied in liquid aqueous form no removal is required. A light water rinse will suffice.
Precautions & Warnings
- Do not use VpCI 609 with copper or any copper based alloy/ yellow metal. Compatibility with other metals requires individual testing.
- When exposed to moisture and dried the powder can cake. This can become more frequent if the formula is exposed to high temperatures and repeat wet/dry cycles.
- When using in water make sure the powder is fully disolved before application.
- If the coating is used to protect over extended periods a more intensive cleaning procedure may be required.
- Powder is not suitable for HydroCarbon fluids. Make sure powder is completely rinsed before hydrocarbons are added to vessels.
- Ensure the powder is removed from each side of the weld prior to welding or other high temperature exposure work.
To see more complimentary Cortec VpCI products take a look at our range of bags and films and VpCI emitter capsules for corrosion prevention in confined spaces.